Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Day 11 16/11/08 Whitehall

Had a full English breakfast as it was included. Chris had two embarrassingly large helpings.

This morning we walked to Waterloo Bridge and then Covent Garden. Just walked through because it was too early for anything to be open. From there we continued to Piccadilly Circus where I bought a tacky yet cool union jack umbrella. Next we returned to Trafalgar Square and went in to the National Gallery. We covered the entire gallery in 2 hours which must be some kind of record.

In the afternoon we went to the Tate Britain. It was only after we left that I realised i hadn't seen David Hockney's "Mr and Mrs Clark and Percy" which was on my to do list. I don't know where it would have been as i thought we saw everything. It's a portrait of Ossie Clark and Celia Birtwell and their cat. I checked google to make sure i had the right gallery which i did. We walked back via Westminster Cathedral. We went inside and I told Chris to make a donation as he's catholic (well, used to be)and they seem to be crying out for money. I learnt that it costs 50 pounds a day to train a priest!

In the evening we went to a pub around the corner and i can't remember its name. We passed by Downing Street on the way.

I tried to see a Waterloo Sunset but it was too cloudy to see what Ray Davies was on about. I'm sure in the right light it's spectacular!

2 comments:

Ms Pegg said...

Am green with envy over the blue trench!

Will be frugging and such in a couple of weeks with Lettie and the gang. Have a fab new pink dress and am brushing orff my go-go boots.

Methinks I will do a version of 'Waterloo sunset' at a future open mic. What a fab track!

Look forward to more installments.

Babs

Rosemary Woodhouse said...

Hi Babs,

Yes Waterloo Sunset is definitely in my top 5.

Rosemary